The past weekend was great. I had the pleasure of hanging
out with like-minded people that have also dedicated themselves to their
passion.
3 Dudes 2012 finale
Andy, Tom and I went on the last 3 Dudes run for 2012.
Afterwards, we hung out at Tom’s building. We took out our handsets to show
pictures and videos of the countless miles we had run and reminisced about this
crazy journey.
In less than three months, we will be running our first
100km ultra marathon. We each had our personal issues in 2012 – career changes,
injuries, schedule conflicts etc, but we stuck together as a team. And I don’t
think I would have had the discipline to train if I didn’t have these two
equally insane friends.
![]() |
| Dec 22, 2012, Wulai trails. Last 3 Dudes run of 2012. Raising arms in celebration of a good year |
![]() |
| Dec 22, 2012, Wulai trails. Tom introduced me to HDR function on my phone. |
![]() |
| Decc 22, 2012, One of the many river and creek crossings |
![]() |
| Dec 22, 2012, Meng Ling (second left), talented actor and writer. |
Labor of love
1. I always had him as the shy type, but he turned out to be
a good actor and had strong stage presence. He stole the show.
During my entrepreneurship days, I received help from many people, from close friends to casual acquaintances. With a small startup capital I tried to save whenever and wherever possible. We had friends acted us photographers, models, web design consultant, copy writers and legal advisor for free. Life as an entrepreneur didn’t work out, but I never forgot how great it felt to have people lend a helping hand in time of need. I vowed to always return the favor to those that are pursuing dreams with limited resources.
A coworker of mine writes and acts in plays, and him and his theater friends often finance their own production. His latest play was this past weekend so of course I had to go for support. I found the experience incredible and was deeply touched for multiple reasons:
2. He has a fulltime job and somehow found the time and
energy to participate in a 90 minute play.
3. They don’t make much money off these productions. It’s
purely for love and passion.
4. When we met up with him briefly after the performance, he
exuded a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.
It’s labor of love.
Passion, respect and
tolerance
A friend of mine, who is a devout Christian, was in town. He
and his wife started a clothing brand with a Christian theme. Their passion is
to serve God and they see this fashion business not as a business, but a
vehicle for people to get curious about and understand God. They had a fashion
show during a Christmas church service on Sunday, and I went to catch up.
I know many skeptics of religion. I am not religious, but it’s
always an experience to be around people that are so clear with their mission
in life, and I can’t help but be inspired, and want to reach harder for my own
goals and dreams.
After all, many people think running ultramarathons are
stupid and pointless, but somehow, it’s satisfying for me. So who am I to judge
another person’s passion?
![]() |
| November 2012, taken with Geof, outside his Amenpapa boutique in HK |
You can also follow my running adventures on https://www.facebook.com/pages/3-dudes-on-ultra-mission/271137916280936 or https://twitter.com/williewenli





That trail looks pretty stunning, where is it?
ReplyDeleteit's here is Taipei, Taiwan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wulai_District.
Deletea area called Wulai. it's has hotsprings and many trails that run along the river, so also plenty of swimming holes as well.
If you are ever in the country, let me know.