![]() |
| Training for a marathon PR by running hill intervals on this bicycle ramp. |
This is a quick update of my training to run a marathon in 3 hours and 15 minutes in December. Earlier this year, I posted weekly updates of my progress, sharing my training and diet habits.
I stopped the posts awhile back. There were a few reasons, which I
will get into in a moment. But I just want to let everyone know that the goal
hasn’t changed and I’m making progress.
So why did I
stop updating?
First, I
really, really, really DID NOT enjoy keeping a food diary, documenting
everything that I ate for the week. Yes, it did enable me to pin point when and
how I slipped, but it also made me laser-focused on what I did wrong, which were actually quite minor compared to what I was doing right on the holistic level. For me, fitness,
health and wellness are about taking care of your body the majority of the time
so that it can handle the occasional indulgence. And let’s be honest, all
proper all the time is no fun right?
Second, now
that I’ve run more, the meaning of running has evolved. It’s still about the peace and challenge, but for
the challenge element, time and distance no longer play such prominent roles. Running has become an activity that allows me to face discomforts head on and conquering them. Improvements in regards to time and distance are just byproducts.
The past few months, I’ve stopped
tracking distance and time during runs, and mostly gauged with intensity felt by my body. Though
the 3:15-marathon goal was made earlier this year before the mentality shift, I
plan to honor it. The actual time goal, however, doesn’t mean much to me now. It’s about
the process of fighting through pain during training and, when the time comes, the actual
race in December.
Third, those
posts just weren’t that interesting, and they were the worst performing posts
(HA!).
Strangely, I
was struggling with discipline, particularly with clean eating, while I was
updating weekly, which was initiated to keep myself accountable.
Since then,
I’ve switched jobs, started a personal project, coached new clients in
different time zones and basically had my well-oiled routine turned upside down.
Changes in my daily life had typically disrupted my healthy habits in the past, yet, I’ve
found the motivation to eat better and even do the painful high-intensity interval
trainings regularly during this transitional period.
Perhaps,
it’s the more laid-back attitude or maybe it's a new focus on positivity instead of
what went wrong. I don’t know, and I don’t really need an answer. Whatever it
is, it’s working great.
So all that
being said, a target set (though a dated target) means a target that needs to
be hit, so I did time a tempo run earlier this week to see where I'm at. I still have a lot of work
to do, but progress is apparent.
I want to
end this post with 3 quotes I saw recently. They hit me in head and heart
real hard, and I’m not sure what they have to do with this post. It just feels
right to include them here.
“You cannot hate both these things at
the same time: 1) Status quo 2) Change” - unknown.
“Pain is
just weakness leaving the body” - unknown
and last but not least...
“Pursue something so important that
even if you fail, the world is better off with you having tried." - Tim
O'Reilly
I hope they
have the same impact on you as well. Would love to hear what you think?
Happy running.
Happy running.
You can also follow my running adventures on https://www.facebook.com/pages/3-dudes-on-ultra-mission/271137916280936 or https://twitter.com/williewenli

Good luck! I go in phases of obsessing over stats vs. not caring much. It's important to balance out the joy and challenges of running I guess.
ReplyDeleteFor food, maybe try Myfitnesspal.com - I use it and it works great to track carb/protein ratios and calories per day.
Anyway, since my HM goal time is 2 hours, I'm envious of your goal! Isn't that a qualification for Boston?
lovely photography btw, I just checked out your site. I always feel that more people need to understand Taiwan, and i hope your blog can give tw and wider audience. I will follow your blog
DeleteI think for my age BM qualification is 3:10. that will have to be my goal for 2014 and onwards. those 5 minute make a huge difference. thank you for the suggestions, i will check it out. good luck on your HM training. lets run sometimes, me my friends organize runs on Saturday mornings.
Thanks!
DeleteI'll keep an eye on the Facebook page for the runs. I'm in Hsinchu and don't make it to Taipei often, but am up for it as I need to run with other people more often.
hey josh, just thought of you. we are doing a nice run tomorrow at an area called wulai. though rainy, but probably extra pretty. Anyways, sorry for the late heads up. details are on the 3Dudes page, link at the end of the post.
Delete3:15!!!!! That is a freaky fast Marathon, but I think it is within you. For me, I'm waiting until the BQ time catchaes up with my age/ability. I think 3:35 is the 55 y.o. time, so maybe in 11 years.
ReplyDeletewhat's the qualifying time for your age group now?
DeleteI think 3:15, but for 2015 it would be 3:25. I'ok decide if I want to give it a run in the spring depending on Fubon.
Deletehow's your training so far? started the hansen(?)method? I think you mentioned something about that previously?
Deletehow's your training so far? started the hansen(?)method? I think you mentioned something about that previously?
Delete