Wednesday, August 28, 2013

episode 55: 50km Report, First Trophy


A race well ran. 3 Dudes having beers, waiting for the train home
On Sunday August 18, 2013, 3 Dudes (Andy, Tom and moi) traveled to Taidong, Taiwan to run a 50km in an area known as the Liji Badlands. Not quite as extreme as the badlands in the US, but it was certainly a big dried up and exposed mountain. Fortunately, the race route only took us around the area and not through it. Thank you running gods, because it was a 34 degree Celsius day.

chillin' at the airport


We flew down Saturday evening and arrived at our hostel (lower-end of the low-end) 7ish. Dropped off our things and went in search for food. A couple of hours later with our stomach filled and checked out the race starting point, we were ready for bed a little past 9.

Andy and I, the night before the run
Andy and Tom. Getting mentally prepared

A hostel means creaky bunk beds and zero sound proof. I did get some sleep but woke up 5-6 times to random noises (including Tom’s violent descent from the top bunk to hit the can.)

I woke up at 4am to the alarm clock, cleaned up, had a banana, energy bar and chia mixed with water for breakfast. No bowel movements whatsoever.

The fact that we haven't done anything more than 30km since the 100km in March was on my mind, but I was also confident that my interval training and tempo runs the past couple of months should provide a positive impact.

We arrived at the starting point around 5:10am, checked in and received our time chips and numbers. Had another go at the restroom, but no luck. It’s going to be one of those runs, I thought.

Our check-in slip. Funny stuff for those that can read Chinese.


Eager runners. Many familiar faces, or asses in this image

Saving their legs, Andy and Tom. Oh the concentration...

Temperature at that point was in the high 20s, so manageable but would soon rise to the mid 30s. I didn’t carry a hydration pack as there were water stations every 2.5km. I wore a fanny pack with only my phone and an energy bar.

The race started at 6am sharp and the first 2.5km was through a park. Afterwards we hit a stretch of road and across a bridge and the badlands came into view. Lusher than I remembered.

The Liji Badlands courtesy of http://www.ipeen.com.tw

There was no excitement for this run. I woke up really not feeling it, and I was dragging for the first 5-10km. I picked up the pace after the park, not because I was feeling great, but just wanted to get this whole thing over with asap.

Once I entered the mountain, however, my legs loosened up, got some fresh air, saw the gorgeous scenery, and my mood improved. I was in stride and passing people, and all of a sudden I was at the 17.5km water station with the turnaround just up ahead.

The course wasn’t the most challenging in terms of altitude gain, so I could really move. Over the next 5km, me and two random runners were locked in an uphill battle. We weren’t really competing, but I could tell that none of us wanted to be dropped. Eventually me and one guy pulled ahead, and as we approached the turnaround, he left me in dust as well.


Tom looking strong at the turnaround
The final 3-4km to the 25km turnaround was the steepest of the race, and it was here that I really exceled and made up some time from poor motivation in the beginning.

On the way back down, I consciously tried to run lighter because of several experiences with quadriceps fatigue in the past. I was going at a good pace and passed more runners. The sun was in full force by then, and I made sure I drenched myself from head to toe with cold water every chance I had.

With 15km to go I saw the same runner that dropped me earlier on the way up, and he became my "deer". Still far away, but I knew I was gaining.


I was feeling more and more tired but also running better, if that made sense. At the 40km mark, muscle fatigue crept up and I wondered how I was able to complete a 100km just five months ago.

The deer, still in front, began brief walks, and I knew I had him. I finally passed him on the bridge on the way back to the park, and we exchanged a few words of encouragement. That's why I love running - friendly competition mixed with mutual support and respect.

I hit the wall during the final 2-3km. Stuck in a slow trot and exposed to the sun. The third runner that I battled earlier (and thought defeated) passed me and looked quite fresh. I couldn't do a thing to keep up. An ultra marathon is indeed an ultra marathon, not a sprint (that made sense in my head, not so much written out).

I arrived with a time of 4 hours 42 minutes. The first time I have gone under 5 hours for a 50km.

I was drinking a beer near the finish line, when I heard the announcer called out my name. I was 7th in the 30-39 age group!! It's my first individual trophy, not just for running, but for my entire life!!! It was a bit elaborate for a 7th place age group trophy, but I don’t give a F#$%!!




Takeways:
The lesson learned is that the mental aspect of running is truly crucial in ultra distances, and your mental edge deteriorates even faster than your physical shape when not properly maintained and fine-tuned.

The mental game is not a novel concept for me, but I have never experienced both the positive and negative sides so clearly on the same run, which really underscored its importance for me.   

The mental edge acquired from completing a much longer race recently enabled me to quite easily deal with a 50km (relatively speaking). Though it took nearly 5 hours, it definitely felt short compared to the 13-hour ordeal I suffered five months ago. And I think that’s what enabled my PR.

At the same time, perhaps physically I’m still in 100km shape, mentally I am not there anymore. It took me a year to gradually get psychologically ready. With out that process, any run more than 50km is not possible for me at this moment.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! Congratulations! That is some serious hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah...quite extravagant as a friend pointed out. we will announce a run later on today for sat morning, on a trail in wulai (not the same as last time) that you asked me about on taipei running community a few months back. hope you can join.

      Delete