Wednesday, December 12, 2012

episode10: 65km Report, Accessing Flow State


Wish I wrote this right after the run. I’ll try to remember as many details as possible. Also wish I took more photos during the run. 

Date: 11/17/2012, Saturday
Time: 5am start-time
Start point: Xin Beitou MRT Station
Highest point: Datun Shan, Yangming Mt, Taipei
Running mates: Andy Dickinson and Tom Hasinski

Race Profile


I hadn’t been nervous for a race in a long time, but running a 65k of mostly up and down hills certainly got me tossing and turning a bit the night the before. It was the longest distance I had yet run.

Nervousness is a good thing though, I believe. Ellen Forney eloquently wrote in “The Absolute Truth Diary of a Part Time Indian”, the difference between being nervous and scared is that nervous means you are eager to do it. So I was nervous, but not scared.

I woke up at about 3:15am. Tried to take a number two, but was unsuccessful. “Ahoh...not a good start…” I thought. I changed, ate a light breakfast of water mixed with chia seeds and lime juice, banana, mixed nuts and an energy bar, prepared my hydration pack, and stepped out the door. 

It was chilly with a light drizzle. Somewhere around 18-19 degree Celsius. I hopped on a cab and arrived at Xin Beitou MRT station around 430am. Tom and Andy were there already. 


Tom and Andy fueling up, November, 2012



















It was not the most popular race. I’m estimating about 200-300 participants, which wasn’t that surprising. After all, who would want to run 65k up mountains in such crappy weather? I decided to go with a tank top to start but had a long sleeve warm up in the pack.


Not the biggest crowd, November 2012














Many familiar faces since the ultramarathon community is quite small, especially when it gets up to 50+ km distances.  

The race kicked off on time, and right away it was a steep 5km climb. It was still dark and the rain continued to fall. Not a pleasant start, but I felt fresh and chattered with a few people as we ascended the first hill.




3 Dudes before our longest run, November 2012















Then it was a 5km downhill, a welcome breather before the biggest climb of the run, a 17km continuous climb to the summit of Datun Shan with a set of monster vertical stairs at the end.

I quickly learned to shut up to save my breath. There were no distance markers along the way, so I had no idea how far I had run, which made this section seemed endless. I was able to keep up a steady pace, but every switch back leads to another switchback then another switchback. I don’t remember all the things I thought about, but I’m sure “THIS F@#$%$& SUCKS!!!” came up a few times.

Finally we arrived at the visitor center, so I knew the top wasn’t far away, but a long set of stairs awaits.

The walk up was much steeper than I expected but also a bit shorter than I had imagined. On top, there were hot coffee and a nice spread. It also got foggier.

I didn’t stay long on the summit. After the long walk, I was ready to start running again. I don’t generally like downhills, but it was a nice change of pace after 17km of up and up.

The enjoyment was short live, as my knees, feet and quads began to talk back. During this steep 6km descent, I was a little worried about quadriceps failure that I had read so much about, and I was just a little more than half way done at that point.

The next 10-12km was mostly up and down, which made it really difficult to get into a comfortable zone. The first turn around was also somewhere along this section.

This was where I stupidly thought that I had a chance to place in the top ten. I knew the turnaround was not far ahead, and I had only seen 2-3 runners coming back. Then of course, as I got nearer, I saw more and more runners, so that was that.

More downhills. I didn’t study the course thoroughly, but I knew one major climb remains. I just wasn’t sure when and where.

It was at kilometer 50. I asked the volunteer, she said only 3.5km up to the next turnaround. “3.5km, not so bad,” I thought. Wrong!! It was straight up!!

Almost everyone that I encountered on the hill had to walk. “Who the hell puts a vertical climb at 50km?!?” The race director was truly sadistic. Race volunteers and runners on the way down tried to cheer me up, telling me the top wasn’t much further. “All a bunch of liars!” It just got steeper and steeper, with no end in sight. 

I was empty when I got to the top. I had some fruit and sports drinks. It never really stopped raining and the temperature had dropped to 15-16 degrees Celsius. I put on my long sleeve warm-up and chowed down an energy bar. My quads were real tired, and I was having a difficult time negotiating the steep winding descent.

I stopped to the take a piss, stretched a little, and finished the energy bar. It was pretty foggy at that point with roughly 20 meter visibility.

“About 10 more kilometers…mostly downhill…it’s the same distance as most of my evening runs…Time to suck it up” I mumbled something like this.

I started running again, and I think I hit the so-called “flow state”. My body felt a little lighter, and the sourness in my quads subsided gradually as I moved. I was running a good pace in the fog and couldn’t see who was in front or behind. Next thing I knew runners appeared ahead and I began to pass a few people.

The last 5km or so was a blur. I was just trying to survive, and the race finished with a steep 80 meter hill. Like I said, the director was mean.

Since it was a small race, it didn’t have the usual crowd at the finish line. But by then I just wanted to sit and get some peace and quiet.

Take away from the run: It was both harder and easier than I expected. I beat my target time, but didn’t expect to be so exhausted. The 3.5km climb really killed me. I’m fairly confident with my ability to run hills, but that kind of vertical gain at 50km was much tougher than I had imagined.

The mission to run 100km doesn’t seem so impossible now, but still got work to do. 

My first top 20 finish, November 2012







No comments:

Post a Comment