Saturday, January 5, 2013

episode 16: Mentally Lazy


It’s tough to run after work. A 10km run that would be a breeze on weekend mornings can be so draining after a work day, just tired and less motivated.

I’m currently reading a book by Nobel Prize winner Daniel Kahneman called “Thinking Fast and Slow”. He explained that all mental functions such as analytical process, self-discipline or quick observations compete for the two thought systems available in human brains. He provided scientific data and clear reasons to illustrate why we are lazy mentally and tend to take the easiest and quickest route for decisions. We are naturally and genetically programmed to do so unless we consciously make adjustments, he said, and often times this mechanism works efficiently to our benefit.

Based on this concept, we make quick judgments by associating current situations with memories and experiences that are the easiest to retrieve. When we encounter stress and fatigue, we also become less resilient to temptations such as cigarettes, alcohol, desserts or couch and TV.

Of course the book is about so much more. It has given me new insights to the way I think. I find myself taking a bit more time when I’m making a decision to ensure that it’s not the “laziness” of my brain acting up.

Here is my interpretation. When it’s cold and wet out and my brain has not unwind from all the information collected from work, the mental systems are occupied with little capacity for the functions required for self-discipline. That’s why I skipped runs or cut them short.

After reading the book, I take a bit more time before I conclude to skip a workout. I ask and remind myself:
“Am I associating tonight’s run with the bad run in the rain a few days ago?”
“How would I feel later if I slack off now?”  
“The run takes only an hour, and I always feel better after a workout.”

Sometimes running needs no reason. I just like getting outside for some exercise. Other times, a little logic and rationality certainly give me the extra nudge to push through.   


2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting and applies to a lot of things, as you said. The quick decision making/recent memories theory plays a big part in emotional eating, which is something I am overcoming and help my health coaching clients with as well. For instance, if someone is tempted to bust open a bag of chips in a moment of feeling sad, but has a recent memory of NOT giving into that temptation in a similar situation, then it will really help because it reminds you that you can get past the uncomfortable emotion without eating, and that you'll feel better later if you do. Anyyyway, really cool! Good luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Ellen, love your blog as well. I will revist regularly. thank you for the kind words.

      Delete